2004 OCIABC Communicator Awards
Bronze Beacon Awards
The 2004 competition resulted in Awards of Merit and Awards of Excellence in these categories:
Awards in the Writing category recognize effective use of language, style and structure in published work, scripts or speeches. Special consideration is given to clear, lively writing that draws the readers in.
- Excellence: Tom Unger, Wells Fargo & Company (PSU Graduate School of Social Work 40th Anniversary)
- Merit: Mark Goldstein, Standard Insurance Company (Health Care Costs Rising, for Employers as Well as Employees)
- Excellence: Pat Emerson, OMPRO (Angels With Stethoscopes)
- Merit: Mark Goldstein, Standard Insurance Company (Over the Hill: The Standard Plaza Turns 40)
- Merit: Mark Goldstein, Standard Insurance Company (More than Just Your Paycheck
Personality Profile )
- Merit: Mark Goldstein, Standard Insurance Company (Pushing the Envelope)
- Merit: Mark Goldstein, Standard Insurance Company (Singin’ Insurance Man)
- Merit: Grace Dusseau, PacifiCorp (“Tales from the Trenches” series)
- Merit: Grace Dusseau, PacifiCorp (“Customer Focus” series)
- Merit: Barbara Kommer, Spend and Price Monitoring Monthly Program Update
Entries in the design category represent an organizational brand identity or other project where design is the primary communication function or tool. These awards recognize Excellence: in graphic design, creative design solutions and production within budget.
- Excellence: Josh Spivey and Doug Babb, Conkling Fiskum & McCormick (CFM Ceili 2004)
- Merit: PAC/WEST Communications (Holiday Electrical Safety Media Kit)
The publications category combines the criteria of design, visual arts and writing. Entries in the publication category are evaluated for their overall presentation and their ability to communicate consistently and effectively. Awards recognize entries that demonstrate a high level of creativity and expertise in all aspects of design, graphics, images, writing, editing and production.
- Excellence: Grace Dusseau, PacifiCorp (One Magazine)
- Merit: Anna Browne, Standard Insurance Company (The Standard Magazine)
- Excellence: Julie Piper Finley, Loaves & Fishes Centers (Loaves & Fishes 2003 Annual Report)
- Excellence: Julie Piper Finley, Loaves & Fishes Centers (Prime Time)
- Merit: Communications Department, Qmedtrix (Qnews Employee Newsletter)
- Merit: Lilisa Hall, Pacificorp (Safety Times)
- Merit: PAC/WEST Communications (Permits Protect PSA)
Electronic and Interactive Communications
The electronic and interactive communications category recognizes excellence in computer-based or electronically distributed communication programs. Awards recognize both the quality of the information presented, as well as the ability to access and navigate the information easily.
- Merit: Barbara Kommer (Spend and Price Monitoring Monthly Program Update)
- Merit: Josh Spivey and Norm Eder, Conkling, Fiskum & McCormick (Northwest Gas Association Web site)
- Excellence: Stacy Hoffacker, PacifiCorp (Intranet Portal)
Entries in the Communication Management category demonstrate the entrant’s overall management of an effective communication program. Rather than focusing on the program components themselves (the key criteria for the Communication Programs & Promotional Campaigns category), awards recognize the entrant’s full range of communication management skills, including research, strategy, planning, implementation, measurement, and evaluation.
- Merit: Ellen Berg,Young & Roehr Group (NWEA Research Campaign)
Communication Programs and Promotional Campaigns
Entries in the communications programs and promotional campaigns category include projects, programs and campaigns defined by a well-developed communication plan, including research, strategy, planning, implementation, measurement and evaluation. Awards recognize achievement in communicating a variety of messages to a wide range of audiences through creative planning, use of materials and ability to obtain the desired results.
- Excellence: Xerox Channels Group (From Blank Page to Breakthrough)
- Merit: Xerox Channels Group (Colorworks!)
- Excellence: Tiana Tozer, Standard Insurance Company (The Magic of Giving)
- Merit: Lilisa Hall, PacifiCorp (Climate Survey)
Chapter Service Awards
Rodney Adair Memorial Award
More than twenty years ago, Rodney Adair left Oregon Columbia IABC with a legacy of active membership and dedicated service. After he died tragically in a car accident, the chapter created the Rodney Adair Memorial Award in 1980 “for sustained and exceptional service to the association and for professional advancement.” This is the highest honor our chapter can bestow to a member.
Chapter Service/Volunteer Award
In appreciation for their dedicated service to Oregon Columbia International Association of Business Communicators for their volunteer efforts during the 2003-2004 year:
- Melanie Adamson
- Ric Drury
- Barbara Kommer