2006 OCIABC Communicator Awards
Bronze Beacon Awards
The 2006 competition resulted in Awards of Merit and Awards of Excellence in these categories:
Awards in the Writing category recognize effective use of language, style and structure in published work, scripts or speeches. Special consideration is given to clear, lively writing that draws the readers in.
- Excellence: Steve D0dge, Pacific University (Feature story: Trial by Fire )
- Excellence: Julie Piper Finley, Loaves & Fishes (Loaves & Fishes Centers 2005 Annual Report)
Entries in the design category represent an organizational brand identity or other project where design is the primary communication function or tool. These awards recognize Excellence: in graphic design, creative design solutions and production within budget.
- Excellence: Dave Hoyt, Pacific University (Pacific Magazine Library Calendar)
The publications category combines the criteria of design, visual arts and writing. Entries in the publication category are evaluated for their overall presentation and their ability to communicate consistently and effectively. Awards recognize entries that demonstrate a high level of creativity and expertise in all aspects of design, graphics, images, writing, editing and production.
- Merit: Anna Browne, ABC, Standard Insurance Company (The Standard Anniversary Issue)
- Merit: Gabrielle Williams, Pacific University (Pacific Magazine Library Calendar)
- Merit: Glenn Perkins, Wells Fargo (The Link Newsletter)
Entries in the Communication Management category demonstrate the entrant’s overall management of an effective communication program. Rather than focusing on the program components themselves (the key criteria for the Communication Programs & Promotional Campaigns category), awards recognize the entrant’s full range of communication management skills, including research, strategy, planning, implementation, measurement, and evaluation.
- Excellence: Doug Babb & Patrick Dellerba, Conkling Fiskum & McCormick (Building the Fort to Sea Trail)
- Merit: Lise Harwin, Legacy Health System (Striking Out at SEIU at Legacy Emanuel Hospital)
Communication Programs and Promotional Campaigns
Entries in the communications programs and promotional campaigns category include projects, programs and campaigns defined by a well-developed communication plan, including research, strategy, planning, implementation, measurement and evaluation. Awards recognize achievement in communicating a variety of messages to a wide range of audiences through creative planning, use of materials and ability to obtain the desired results.
- Excellence: Allison McCormick, APR, Conkling, Fiskum & McCormick (Small Boy, Big Heart-Feeding the Hungry)
- Excellence: CMD Agency (Jeld-Wen Reliable Pet Contest)
- Merit: Shareefah Abdullah, Hot Ovations Communications Coaching & Training Company (Tangible Triumph)
- Merit: Tracey Boyd Barnett, Legacy Health System (New Territory – Introducing Legacy Salmon Creek Hospital)
Chapter Service Awards
Rodney Adair Memorial Award
More than twenty years ago, Rodney Adair left Oregon Columbia IABC with a legacy of active membership and dedicated service. After he died tragically in a car accident, the chapter created the Rodney Adair Memorial Award in 1980 “for sustained and exceptional service to the association and for professional advancement.” This is the highest honor our chapter can bestow to a member.
Chapter Service/Volunteer Award
In appreciation for their dedicated service to Oregon Columbia International Association of Business Communicators for their volunteer efforts during the 2005-2006 year. Awards go to:
- Kermit Cantwell
- Debbra Palmer
- Barbara Saunders
- Marlynn Schotland
- Karen Stelter