1999 OCIABC Communicator Awards
Bronze Beacon Awards
The 1999 competition resulted in Awards of Merit and Awards of Excellence in these categories:
Awards in the Writing category recognize effective use of language, style and structure in published work, scripts or speeches. Special consideration is given to clear, lively writing that draws the readers in.
- Excellence: Dan Keeney, Conkling Fiskum & McCormick (Saving Private Forestry in Oregon)
- April Henry, Kaiser Permanente (Ending the Cycle of Chronic Pain)
Entries in the design category represent an organizational brand identity or other project where design is the primary communication function or tool. These awards recognize Excellence: in graphic design, creative design solutions and production within budget.
- Excellence: Julie Piper Finley, ABC, StanCorp Financial; (Standard Insurance Company 1998 Annual Report)
Awards recognize success in meeting objectives, suitability for audience, creativity, general impact and technical quality
- Merit: Dan Keeney, Conkling Fiskum & McCormick (Saving Private Forestry in Oregon)
- Merit: Daylene Crudo, Educational Production (edpro.com website)
Awards recognize entries which demonstrate a high level of creativity and expertise in all aspects — design, graphics, photos, writing, editing, and production.
- Excellence: Jane Gindin, MCG Northwest (InFocus Newsletter)
- Merit: Lori Corso, Lewis & Clark College (Campus Connections)
- Merit: Julie Piper Finley, ABC, StanCorp Financial (Standard Insurance Company Annual Reports)
Communication Programs and Promotional Campaigns
Entries in the communications programs and promotional campaigns category include projects, programs and campaigns defined by a well-developed communication plan, including research, strategy, planning, implementation, measurement and evaluation. Awards recognize achievement in communicating a variety of messages to a wide range of audiences through creative planning, use of materials and ability to obtain the desired results.
- Excellence: Dan Keeney, Conkling Fiskum & McCormick; (Protecting Keiko & the Oregon Coast Aquarium)
- Merit: David Waters, Oregon Historical Society: (AT&T Treasures of Oregon Media Campaign)
- Merit: John Bistolas, Bistolas & Associates: (Information Association, Integrated Marketing Communications Campaign)
- Excellence: Dan Keeney, Conkling Fiskum & McCormick; (Saving Private Forestry in Oregon)
- Merit: Jim Gersbach, Kaiser Permanente: (Health Care Sponsorship of Nike World Games)
- Excellence: Elaine Donaldson, Portland General Electric; (PGE Employees Volunteer at the A.C. Gilbert Discovery Village)
- Merit: Anna Browne, formerly with Tri-Met, now with StanCorp Financial; (Your Employee Guide for What’s Happening on South/North)