The Oregon Forest & Industries Council (OFIC) is a statewide trade association representing forestland owners and forest products manufacturing firms. Its members own more than 90 percent of Oregon’s private, large-owner forestland base. OFIC’s core mission is to advocate on behalf of its members to maintain a positive, stable business operating environment for Oregon’s forest products community that fosters long-term investments in healthy forests; to ensure a reliable timber supply from Oregon’s public and private forestlands; and to promote stewardship and sustainable management of forestlands that protect environmental values and maintain productive uses on all forestlands.
OFIC is currently seeking a person to fill the position of Director of Manufacturing and Resources. The successful candidate will be lead on a wide range of subjects extending from management of forest resources through the processing, marketing and consumption of forest products.
The Director of Manufacturing and Resources will represent OFIC and its member companies to state agencies, boards and commissions, and state legislators on public policy, regulatory programs and legislation affecting all manner of forest business issues, including forest economics, taxation, energy, carbon and climate change, land use, forest products certification, water and air regulatory permitting, and general manufacturing.
The successful candidate will be a good team player, able to take input from association members, other staff members, and affiliated interests to identify and lead the successful implementation of policy strategies.
Applicants should have a combination of education and work experience in forest business, regulatory permitting, energy or taxation that demonstrates the experience and skills to perform the duties of this position. Undergraduate and/or advanced degrees in natural resource economics, business and/or forestry are desirable. Previous political experience is a plus.
This position is based out of Salem, Oregon.
Anticipated state date: February 2018
• Analyze the effects of potential legislation, permitting, and administrative rules on OFIC members, and work with staff to develop credible positions protecting OFIC member interests.
• Serve as a liaison for OFIC by developing professional working relationships with key staff at the Oregon Department of Forestry, the Oregon Department of Environment Quality, the Oregon Department of Energy, the Legislative Revenue Office, the Oregon Global Warming Commission, the USDA Forest Service Pacific Northwest Research Station and Forest Inventory Analysis Program, among others.
• Engage with critical partners including the OSU College of Forestry, the Oregon Forest Resources Institute, Non-governmental organizations and others.
• Support OFIC internal policy committees, including the Forest Taxation Committee and the Manufacturers’ Committee.
• Identify developing issues and challenges facing the forest industry, and work to develop both long and short-term strategies and tactics.
• Advocate for favorable economic policies, including defending current forest property taxation treatment of private forestland and timber in Oregon.
• Cultivate “trusted leader” relationships with partner organizations like Oregon Business Industries, the Oregon Business Council, Oregon Small Woodlands Association, Associated Oregon Loggers and the Oregon Farm Bureau Federation, among others.
• Establish and maintain a rapport with OFIC members. Communicate regularly with staff and members, respond to individual member inquiries and requests.
• Write clear and content-rich testimony and other public comment documents. Contribute newsworthy articles for the OFIC newsletter.
• Other duties as assigned.
|Job Title:||Director of Manufacturing & Resources|
|Company and Location:||Oregon Forest & Industries Council (OFIC) Salem, OR
|Skills and Experience Required:||
|Educational Background Required/Desired:||
|Compensation & Benefits:||
|How to Apply:||Qualified candidates are encouraged to submit a cover letter, resume and references to email@example.com.|