Willamette University invites applications for a full-time Director of Digital Communications for University Communications.
|Job Title:||Director of Digital Communications|
|Job Type:||Full Time, year-round|
|Overview:||The Director of Digital Communications is responsible for determining the most effective ways for the university to advance its institutional communications goals via digital media channels. The director is the primary communications and marketing strategist responsible for advancing the university’s strategic objectives via electronic, web, email and social media properties.
The director must be a collaborative leader and strong content producer with a broad understanding of communication planning and digital media for internal and external audiences.
To learn more about the University Communications, visit http://www.willamette.edu/dept/comm/index.html
|Responsibilities:||This list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only of the tasks performed by this position and is not all-inclusive. Duties are not listed in any particular order of significance.
• In collaboration with Web Development and other internal constituents, develops and implements communication strategies and plans that support institutional and constituent initiatives
• Leads strategic website planning efforts, especially for storytelling activities via the web
• Uses digital and multi-platform marketing to increase active engagement with Willamette University’s prospective and current students, donors, alumni, faculty, staff, board members and community members
• Develops and implements institution-wide email marketing strategy for e-solicitations, newsletters, including the weekly university bulletin, and other interactive campaigns to advance institutional and client marketing objectives
• Refines and implements a strategy around the use of social media
• Identifies, develops and manages online editorial and multimedia content, bringing both strong editorial judgment and a fluent understanding of multimedia venues.
• Increases and optimizes the flow of traffic to the university’s website and social media properties
• Continually assesses emerging technologies and new ways of using existing technologies to tell the university’s story
• Serves as a project leader focused on furthering the institutional communications goals of the university’s website, social media properties and internal pages
• Writes and edits web copy, shoots and edits web video, creates photography slideshows
• Develops a robust analytical approach to the website and provides analysis of university website usage on a monthly basis; makes recommendations for improvement
• Plans and leads ongoing training and support efforts for campus content contributors in content development, maintaining content currency and navigational integrity and emerging technologies; ensures messaging reflects institutional positioning.
1. Bachelor’s degree and five years’ experience working strategically with the web, social media and email, and using appropriate tools and metrics to measure effectiveness.
2. Strong editorial, writing and storytelling skills.
3. A working knowledge and understanding of website development, content management systems, testing, search engine optimization, usability, analytics and website accessibility.
4. Working knowledge of Photoshop.
6. Demonstrated experience preparing audio and video for the web and use of editing tools.
7. Conceptual understanding of data-driven web environments, web scripting languages and trends in mobile devices.
8. A strategic and curious mind and an ability to see potential uses for new technology.
9. Strong oral communication skills and a sophisticated understanding of what should be communicated to different audiences, from alumni to prospective students to various media outlets.
10. Demonstrated success in seeing the big picture when integrating different communication channels.
11. Empathy and diplomacy in working collaboratively with colleagues across campus.
12. Position is subject to successful clearance of a criminal conviction record check.
1. Experience working in higher education.Bachelor’s degree; journalism/communications or marketing preferred
Salary is commensurate with experience and education.
This is a full-time, year round position. This position is eligible for the University’s generous benefits package that includes: medical/dental insurance, sick and vacation accruals, contribution of 10% of gross base pay from the University in exchange for a mandatory contribution of 1% by the employee, tuition remission, and holidays.
|How to Apply:||
To apply, please visit for complete information on the process: https://jobs.willamette.edu/postings/1980
Thank you for considering an administrative position within Willamette University (WU). Please note that you will need to create an account in order to apply, if this is your first time applying online with WU.
You will be asked to submit the following documents as part of your application materials:
• Cover letter addressing the required/desired qualifications and presenting any other applicant characteristics which deserve emphasis. Please include salary history and salary expectations on the online application.
Application Deadline: Open until finalists are selected, initial review will begin immediately. Original job posting: 3/22/16